Hammersmith Bridge is closed to boat traffic

Update on Hammersmith Bridge and Covid-19

The Fours Head Committee met today and remain committed to holding an event on 22 November if possible.

Course alteration

We expect that Hammersmith Bridge will still be closed to boats going underneath it on race day. Therefore we are planning for a smaller event, up-river of Hammersmith, on a shorter course of about 3.1 miles approximately between Kew Railway Bridge and Sons of the Thames RC (marked with purple pins on the map below).

This means that no crews can boat from Putney, Barn Elms or Fulham Reach which are all down-river of Hammersmith Bridge.


The Fours Head can only take place if British Rowing’s Return to Rowing guidance has moved to Phase H. This is currently scheduled for 10 October.

There are a number of other factors that will impact our race which we are currently investigating, including feedback from the Tyne Single Scullers Head BR test event today.

We are also aware that the Covd-19 situation is currently worsening throughout the country and consequent Government announcements may affect what we can do.

Change of date for entries opening

These uncertainties mean that we are delaying opening for entries. We now expect to open on BROE2 on Monday, 26 October 2020 (we had originally planned to open on 5 October).

Next announcement

We will post further details about the 2020 race here (and on Facebook and Twitter) in the week commencing 19 October 2020 after our next Committee meeting. These will include the number of crews that we will be able to accommodate this year given the change to the course and the Covid-19 situation.

Photo © Daniel Walker 2020

%d bloggers like this: